Monday, November 17, 2008

Letter from Sam Berberian - Oct 22, 2008



Dear Friends,

Since our last letter in March our ministry continues as varied as you can imagine. For example, twice this month I was a guest on Vision Radio; one was a 6:00 to 7:30 a.m. interview on the subject of "Determination". The other program was from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on "How to recognize your vocation", both aimed at young people. In August I taught two workshops in a large congress for youth leaders called Especialidades Juveniles. I was surprised to be included among the three favorite speakers. I wonder if it is the sense of humor, or saying it like it is.

Teaching and Training Leaders for 30 Years
Looking back over 50 years of ministry, 30 of those have been spent in Guatemala, which has become our home, our people. During these past months I have had trips to Escuintla, Baja Verapaz and Mazatenango for meetings or classes, as well as two workshops in San Lucas, teaching a group of some 40 pastors who separate 3 days every 3 months for training. (See the picture, I am on the left in the black suit.) Most in this group have barely 7th grade education so the training needs to be simplified. As you know, I am Dean of the School of Theology of the Panamerican University; I am proud of the pastors and professionals who give priority to training to enhance their ministry for the Lord. Since March, two of my students graduated, one from the graduate, the other from the undergraduate program. In the picture is one of my 2rd year students, Sergio Martinez, pastor of the large church pictured below where I am preaching.

Ministry in churches, schools, retreats, dinners
Sundays I have been speaking in various churches in the Guatemala City area, some of them with 100 members, others are larger, including a Baptist church, Nazarene, Verbo, Central American, and independent groups. I have spoken at several couples dinners, motivating family unity (once team-teaching with my wife), as well as men's breakfast meetings. A couple of months ago I gave the closing message to a large group of pastors and leaders in their international annual retreat. The presence of the Holy Spirit was very evident and touched many lives. I am often invited to speak in schools, either to the teaching staff or to the parents. As you can imagine, I need to be flexible and my style and content is continually changed and adapted according to the need.

Cell phone ministry and counseling
I use my cell phone for personal ministry, so when the phone is ringing (or vibrating), you wonder, like a fireman, what will be the call and you have to be ready to help and guide a pastor, a teacher, someone with a question or problem. For example, a student of mine got stuck while studying a passage in the New Testament with his discipleship group. I was able to give him some ideas from the Greek context that helped the study get on its way again. (You may remember that my mother was Greek and I have spoken Greek since childhood.) Another call came from a former student, leader of a big church, asking for guidance before attending a board meeting. My goal is to be available to help people in need.

Thank you for praying and giving
The description of our ministry that I just gave makes clear we can go on doing this work by the grace of the Lord and your prayer support, so that we be sure and do the job the Lord asks us to do. Only eternity will show how far has gone the investment of our friends in our teaching and preaching ministry through the years. As Paul said to the Corinthians, knowing that our work is not in vain in the Lord, 1 Cor. 15:57-58.

As a closing paragraph, all of us know how long we have been living, but we never know how much is left ahead of us. Please pray for us to be faithful to the Lord, and thank you that your support gives us the means to do the job that God calls us to do, in the Frederick Crowe Institute, Doctor Nunez Library, Panamerican University, or in the churches.

Your brother,
(Dr.) Samuel Berberian samuel.berberian@gmail.com Feel free to send me a note.

1 comment:

Carolina McConnell said...

My name is Carolina McConnell. Well, I was Carolina Corcuera when I graduated on '95. For me "Sam" was "Dr. Berberian" I remember his presence, even though he was really funny and we loved to try to be smarter than him, we knew our limits!

Any way, I remember my "Bible Class" It was so awesome that my mom used to make me share it with her.

Now she teaches in a little school in a little village with some of the same "charts" that I got at IFC 15 years ago!

By the way teaching the Bible in a public school is technically illegal, but the teachers love to have her because she tell kids that Jesus commands to obey parents and teachers!