Wednesday, March 26, 2014

News from Samuel Berberian

News from Samuel Berberian
IFC, 4 Ave. 9-66, Zona 1, 01001 Guatemala
March 17, 2014






Time has gone by since our last letter, so I have to cover activities from Thanksgiving to Valentine’s Day. One of the things I have noticed in recent months is the need to have more flexibility for activities which had been planned one way, but as you get there, you discover that changes have to be made so we can be more useful and ready to bless the people. For example, Martha and I went to a couples meeting where we were planning to team-teach, but it was obvious that it wouldn’t function, so I landed up speaking by myself. On another occasion it was just the opposite, I was going to speak alone but they were expecting both of us to share, so we did. God has been gracious with my wife and myself, to be able to adjust to different situations, and when the meeting is over, on our way home we talk of the mercy of the the Lord to use us in several couples’ events in recent months.
On a personal basis, God lays on our heart to visit some people who are ill, never knowing that would be the last visit with that person, because in a week the Lord called her to His presence. More and more, we are experiencing leaning on the Lord and allowing Him to guide our steps in a practical way. When we look back we understand what the Lord was doing.
I am thankful for the members and Board of Doulos Foundation (see foto) who participate actively in our Frederick Crowe Institute and Dr. Núñez Library. In November we graduated another bunch of high school students, some of them in their 30s and 40s who studied on Saturdays. 40% are from very low income families and are able to study because someone was generous to help with their tuition. We are proud of our students, most of who go on to university studies. (See the picture on the left, and right.) In our computer room (see picture) several computers are almost obsolete. We were offered the chance to buy 10 computers for $130 dollars each, arriving in April. Perhaps you would like to cover the cost of one computer.
The Frederick Crowe Institute has completed 25 years, and the staff and students prepared a special program to celebrate God’s goodness on March 14th. We just praise the Lord for being faithful to us, permitting us to train many low income Guatemalans.
My Sunday column continues to appear in Prensa Libre on page 21, called “Si me permite” (if you permit me) and no matter where I go, someone will make a comment about the column, which encourages me to be careful and faithful in this opportunity. In the local church where we attend, Iglesia Nazaret Central, more than once the pastor, in his sermon, comments on what I had written.  
Since we came to Guatemala in 1977, looking back, we have been ground-breakers in matters of academics, from the most elementary level to a doctoral program, which enables the people to reach their educational goals without having to leave the country. They are getting their training without disconnecting from their families or ministry. That way they can hold positions of high responsibilities which require academics as well as leadership in what they do. Pastor Fermin Cuyuch, age 70, received his masters in theology (foto), as well as Magnolia Mendez, and others of the Panamerican University where I have been Dean of Theology for 15 years. We don’t know what the future holds but we know Who holds the future.  In the lower foto I am with two of my theology professors, Fernando Mazariegos and Ramiro Bolaños.
 
As to preaching, I have been speaking an average of three times a week, which can be a leaders meeting, an evangelistic event with a breakfast in a restaurant, or a Sunday service in a church. My goal is to help the people where their needs are, adjusting to their confession as well as the kind of program. If it is a graduation of students, a pastors’ retreat, or single young adults, I am conscious that each group is very different, that I have to know what needs they have so I can minister accordingly. When people tell me to preach whatever topic I want, I tell them no, tell me what the needs are so I know what to preach. I can often face the local needs easier than the local leaders.
Psalm 110:3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauty of holiness.
Thanks for your prayers, that is your greatest gift,
Dr. Samuel Berberian                My cell phone: (502) 5202 4763 

For a tax deductible receipt, write your check to Community Church, 1819 SW 21 Street, Topeka, Kansas 66604, with a note “for Berberian projects”. Thank you.

No comments: